Saturday, July 3, 2010

Live from Dessau -- Episode 9

So I have a really busy couple of days coming up. Finals week approaches and we only have three days of class let to finish our projects and get our models built. I have a paper in history due on Monday as well as the soapstone sculpture that I have been working on. Anyone that likes working with their hands should try soapstone carving as a hobby. The stone is very soft and can be manipulated with simple wood carving tools, but it gives a look and feel that is very unique. My cube sculpture is almost complete; I think a few more hours should do the trick.

I don't have any new photos to most (cause I have been in studio), but I did want to link a couple of websites that are always very influential to me. My two favorite architecture offices are BIG and UNStudio.

Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) is headquartered in Copenhagen and it was a visiting lecture by Bjarke Ingles himself to UK that really made me believe in architecture. Go to the website and look at all of the different projects and presentations that they put together, you won't regret it.

UNStudio is in Amsterdam and I will be lucky enough to visit the studio at the end of my program in Dessau. My studio professor from last semester worked for the firm for 13 months before coming to UK and his teaching style and architectural theory is larger influenced by their practice...and in turn it has largely influenced my young architectural mind.

Check out both of these sites to see what I love about design!

No comments:

Post a Comment